No one wants to think about losing their dog to poison. Sadly, over 90 percent of pet poisonings take place at home and 75 percent of those cases happen because the pet ate or drank a toxic substance. What’s even more shocking?
Pet parents can actually poison their own dogs by giving them people food. That’s right. The little tidbit of food from your plate can sicken your dog and, in the worst case scenario, kill your best friend. What’s more, veterinary care for treating a sick animal is expensive. If you don’t have pet insurance, expenses can run into thousands of dollars.
Here is a list of the top 10 most dangerous people foods for dogs and why you should never give them to your beloved pet.
#1. Alcohol: According to the American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals, alcoholic beverages and foods containing alcohol cause a host of problems. Symptoms of alcohol poisoning include difficult breathing, tremors, vomiting, loss of coordination and, if enough is consumed, death.
#2. Chocolate: Chocolate contains caffeine and a substance called theobromine methylxanthines, both of which are highly toxic to canines. The darker the chocolate, the more lethal it is. Chocolate causes vomiting, dehydration, agitation, tremors, seizures, irregular heartbeat and even death, if not immediately treated.
#3. Grapes and Raisins: Scientists are unsure what exactly causes grape toxicity in dogs, but there is no question that eating grapes or raisins brings about rapid kidney failure. Death from grape or raisin induced kidney failure occurs within three to four days.
#4. Fruit Cores, Seeds and Pits: Apple, plum, peach, pear and apricot seeds all contain cyanide, a toxin that causes difficult breathing, seizures, collapse, shock, dizziness and coma.
#5. Raw Yeast Dough: If you make your own bread or purchase yeast dough to make rolls or bread at home, keep it away from your dog. When ingested, the dough ferments, causing alcohol poisoning. The dough can also expand in a dog’s stomach, resulting in intestinal and stomach ruptures.
#6. Nuts: Again, scientists are not sure why, but walnuts and macadamia nuts cause a toxic reaction in dogs. Symptoms include weakness, inability to walk, vomiting, tremors and hypothermia. Almonds and pecans should be avoided as well, due to their high fat content.
#7: Bacon and Fats: Feeding your dog high fat foods, such as bacon, can lead to pancreatitis. Pancreatitis causes nutrient absorption and digestion problems.
#8. Xylitol: A common ingredient in candies and gums for humans, xylitol can mean liver failure, hypoglycemia and death to your dog.
#9. Onions and Garlic: Onions and garlic cause gastrointestinal irritation for your furry friend. Ingestion can also lead to red blood cell damage.
#10. Salty Foods: Avoid giving your dog snack items, including pretzels, salted popcorn and potato chips that have a high salt content. Increased urination, excessive thirst and, if enough is consumed, sodium ion poisoning can occur.
If your dog accidentally ingests one of the foods listed, contact your veterinarian immediately and call the Animal Poison Control Center, (888) 426-4435, for actions you can take until you reach the vet.