While we humans love grapes and the quick sugary sweet taste it gives us, they are not safe for dogs.
This is not one of those fruits that is OK in small doses. Grapes are not safe for dogs, ever!
Grapes and raisins, which is really a dried form of grapes, are not only unsafe for dogs but have known to be very toxic to dogs.
Need Pet Insurance?
FACT: Pet insurance pays up to 90% of vet bills when your pet is sick or injured!
Why Grapes Are Unsafe For Dogs
They are unsafe in any amount or form and are one of those human foods that are never safe for dogs to eat. It isn’t quite known why grapes are actually toxic for dogs, but it is known that dogs should never eat it.
Some dogs will have symptoms when eating grapes while other dogs might not show the effects for days.
The breed, age or gender of the dog does not have any influence on the risk of having severe symptoms from eating grapes and there is no set amount that triggers symptoms.
Therefore, leave the grapes away from your dog and out of their reach.
Pet insurance can help with the costs of the treatment and any medical bills that are associated with grape toxicity.
We recommend Healthy Paws as the #1 pet health insurance provider!
Symptoms of Grape Toxicity in Dogs
Even if you do your best to keep grapes away from your dog, there might be times when your dog eats some before you put them away or even grabs one off the floor and devours it.
If you see this occur or any of the below symptoms in your pup, there is a chance he ate a grape and needs to see the vet immediately:
- Diarrhea or vomiting
- Abdomen is tender
- Lack of appetite
- Lethargic or weak
- Extra thirsty and urinating more often
- Not urinating enough
If grape toxicity is not treated, your dog might even suffer from kidney failure which can sometimes be fatal.
If you notice any of the symptoms, take your dog to the vet immediately.
Of course, there are many other types of illnesses that have similar symptoms, so talk to your vet about what your dog is experiencing.
Your vet might even ask you to induce vomiting and will give you specific direction on how to do so.
However, never induce vomiting if your dog is having trouble breathing. If this is the case, emergency treatment is necessary right away.
Real Cost Savings from Nationwide Clients
Nationwide insurance saved his parents
Senta got a bone disease called hypertrophic osteodystrophy. Therapy and drug treatment cost $7,770. Senta is now back to his playful self.
Treatment for Grape Toxicity in Dogs
When you take your dog to the vet to treat them for grape toxicity, your vet will usually start by inducing vomiting if your dog has just eaten the grapes within a few hours and hasn’t vomited on his own.
Your dog’s stomach will then be washed out (this is called a gastric lavage) and charcoal is usually given to absorb any of the toxins that are leftover.
IV fluids will then be given to flush out the toxin from your dog’s bloodstream and to help reactivate the kidneys to continue to produce urine.
Sometimes, medication will be given if your dog has already started vomiting on his own.
Your vet will continually monitor your dog’s blood work until your dogs’ kidneys are functioning properly.
If your dog’s kidneys have failed completely, it could become fatal. There is a treatment that is called hemodialysis which may be able to help the kidneys recover.
Other Safe Fruit Options for Dogs
While grapes are very bad and unsafe for dogs, there are many fruits and even berries that you can feed your dogs without worrying:
Pet Insurance Help With Grape Toxicity in Dogs
We hope that your dog will never eat a grape or suffer any of the effects that might occur if your pup does digest too many.
If your dog is needed for emergency care and your vet is closed, while you are most worried about your dog, the high medical bill can hurt too. And that’s when pet insurance is a huge relief.
Plans like Healthy Paws can cover up to 90% of all of your medical bills for this or any other medical condition.
Final Thoughts on Grape Toxicity in Dogs
If you or any of your family members enjoy grapes, the best thing you can do is keep them in the refrigerator and away from your dogs.
Even if you are washing grapes, just make sure your dog isn’t anywhere close by and by all means, never leave a bowl of grapes out for any length of time.
There are many other fruits and human food that are safe for dogs and our list of the ultimate safe food guide is a good primer to help choose the right human food that your dog can eat!
Other articles you may find helpful:
Finding safe alternative foods for your dogs to eat can be tricky. We have a long list of articles about every food you could possibly consider feeding your dog. One thing we recommend is that you consider looking into pet insurance for your pet and you can start by checking out the best rates for dog and puppy insurance.