Antifreeze Toxicity in Dogs
Free Car Insurance Comparison
Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save
Secured with SHA-256 Encryption
UPDATED: Nov 17, 2020
Pet Insurance U receives compensation from the third parties included on this site. This includes payment for clicks from our site to insurance providers’ sites and quote requests generated. Our rankings and reviews are not affected by payments from the insurance companies. The compensation we receive allows the site to be free and regularly updated. Our goal is to review every pet insurance provider, but not all companies are listed on the site.
And many of the companies we review do not pay us anything. We simply rate, compare and review their plan because we feel it will be valuable to you. Our reviews are guaranteed to be unbiased, professional and advertising compensation does not influence rankings.
Cost of Treatment: $200 to $1,500
What is Antifreeze Toxicity in Dogs?
Ethylene glycol is a common ingredient in most antifreeze products used in cars and around the household.
This sweet-tasting ingredient is very appealing to pets, especially during the winter when their water source may get very cold or frozen.
Antifreeze toxicity in pets is common.
Most pets become intoxicated when they lick antifreeze that has leaked from the car engine.
Affected pets will show signs similar to be being drunk. They will show incoordination, lethargy, and weakness, among other signs.
Need Pet Insurance?
FACT: Pet insurance pays up to 90% of vet bills when your pet is sick or injured!
Enter your ZIP code below to view companies that have cheap pet insurance rates.
Secured with SHA-256 Encryption
Symptoms of Antifreeze Toxicity in Dogs
- Excessive thirst
- Frequent urination
- Lack of coordination (“Drunkness”)
- Stupor Seizures
- Swollen and painful kidneys
Treatment of Antifreeze Toxicity in Dogs
Antifreeze toxicity is a life-threatening condition. The odds of saving the life a poisoned dog depend on how fast treatment is started. Dogs who reach the veterinary clinic within the first 2 hours after intoxication have greater chances of surviving.
In cases of early detection, the treatment consists of decontaminating the dog by inducing vomit, gastric lavage and/or administrating activated charcoal.
In cases where the dog reaches the hospital after the first two hours, he/she will need other drugs to prevent the renal damage associated with ethylene glycol toxicity. Most dogs will need fluid therapy and hospitalization.
Hopefully, this never happens to your dog. If it does, we hope you have a dog health insurance plan to pay for the vet bills that will come in.
Other articles you may find helpful:
We get it, your dog is like your child and when your puppy or dog has health problems it is scary. Luckily there is pet insurance companies that will help you pay for any veterinarian care they made need. Checkout the best puppy and dog pet insurance companies and learn about common puppy health issues and ailments in older pets.
Common Health Problems:
We are a free online resource for anyone interested in learning more about pet insurance. Our goal is to be an objective, third-party resource for everything pet insurance related. We update our site regularly, and all content is reviewed by pet insurance experts.