If you own a pet in Ohio, you might be considering a pet insurance policy for your dog or cat. And, where do you even begin?
With so many different pet insurance companies, the task can be overwhelming. The best pet insurance in Ohio will have well-rounded coverage and competitive prices.
We’ll walk you through not only why pet insurance is necessary, but the best plans in Ohio.
Best Pet Insurance In Ohio
Here are the top 5 providers of pet insurance in Ohio:
Healthy Paws Highlights:
- All plans have unlimited benefit levels
- Policyholders give Healthy Paws an A +
- Chiropractic and all alternative therapy options included
- Only annual deductible from $100 to $ $750
- Easy online payment option and fast turn-around on claims
- Pricing is Competitive:
- Your Ohio dog plan can start as low as $30 a month
- Your Ohio cat plan can start as low as $14 a month
Learn More: Read our Healthy Paws Review.
- Customers love Petplan giving it an A rating
- All plans include the cost of vet exams
- Benefits limits for $2,500 to unlimited
- Many deductible choices of up to $1,000.
- Reimbursement levels of up to 90%
- A 10% discount when signing up online
- A veterinary helpline with access 24/7
- Pricing is Competitive:
- Your Ohio dog plan can start as low as $26 a month
- Your Ohio cat plan can start as low as $16 a month.
Learn More: Read our Petplan Review.
- Customers love Embrace with an A rating
- $650 towards dental care in all plans
- Annual deductibles from $100 to $1,000
- $15,000 cap on benefit limits – not unlimited
- Wellness plans available for heartworm and preventive care
- Therapies which include prosthetic and alternative treatment
- $50 off for each year you don’t make a claim
- Pricing is Competitive:
- Your Ohio dog plan can start as low as $34 a month
- Your Ohio cat plan can start as low as $19 a month
Learn More: Read our Embrace Pet Insurance Review.
- Nationwide is the largest pet insurance provider in the U.S.
- A.M. Best gives it an A +rating
- Exotic pets are included in their pet insurance plans.
- The Whole Pet With Wellness – comprehensive plan with wellness included
- Only one deductible of $250 and unlimited claims in higher-tiered plans.
- Already enrolled in Nationwide? Bundle pet insurance into auto or home insurance plans.
- Pricing is Competitive:
- Your Ohio dog plan can start as low as $35 a month.
- Your Ohio cat insurance plan can start as low as $19 a month.
Learn More: Read our Nationwide Pet Insurance Review.
Pet Premium Highlights:
- Customers love Pet Premium with a 97% satisfaction rate.
- Pet Premium’s total coverage includes wellness plans
- Benefit limits from $2,500 to unlimited
- Deductibles from $100 to $500
- Reimbursement level choices of 70%, 80%, and 90%
- Pricing is Competitive:
- Your Ohio dog plan can start as low as $23 a month.
- Your Ohio cat insurance plan can start as low as $10 a month.
Learn More: Read our Pet Premium Review.
Why Pet Insurance in Ohio Is Important For Pets
Ohio is the home to many pet lovers.
In fact, according to the AVMA, there approximately 2.6 million dogs in Ohio and 3.7 million cats. Those are some serious numbers!
With Ohio’s weather which has extremes of heat and then thunderous rain and snow in the winter, pets in Ohio can get sick from either hypothermia or even frostbite.
Due to the crazy climate, pets in Ohio tend to have more cases of roundworms in dogs and FIV and even ear mites in cats. And, this is why pet owners in Ohio should consider pet insurance.
Cost Of Keeping Your Pet Healthy
The price of veterinary and pet health care has gone up tremendously due to the excellent but expensive cutting-edge procedures.
Did you know that 1 in 3 pets get in an accident or develop an illness with a vet bit that can easily range from $5,000 to $10,000?
While almost any pet owner wouldn’t think twice about taking your cat or dog to the hospital when necessary, if you are enrolled in pet insurance, most companies will pay up to 90% of the bill.
Here’s a sample of the costs of treatment if your dog or cat in Ohio gets seriously ill:
- Eye Infection – $1,000 to $5,000
- Paw injury – $1,000 to $5,000
- Hepatitis – $2,000 to $7,000
Cats in Ohio are at a higher risk of Feline Immunodeficiency Virus and it is not only costly to treat it but can save your cat’s life.
When Is The Best Time To Enroll
With any pet insurance plan, the best time to enroll your dog or cat is when they are young. The plans are much less expensive and it’s the time when your pet is the healthiest.
If your dog, cat or any pet gets sick or has some sort of ailment, like hip dysplasia, then your pet won’t be covered since it is pre-existing.
Enroll them when they are young and then they will have coverage for almost any ailment.
With all the hiking and crazy Ohio weather, your dog or cat can get hurt, sick or, bit by a snake.
And all pet insurance companies would help you cover those costs.
How To Find The Best Coverage
The best plans have coverage for almost any test, procedures, and illness that might occur for your pet.
A good, solid comprehensive policy will include at least the following:
- Illnesses & Accidents
- Chronic and hereditary conditions
- Diagnostic testing
- Hospital visits and treatment
- All specialists
- Prescription Medication
Ohio pet owners might want to consider a wellness package due to heartworm, ticks and fleas and other outdoor illness that are prevalent.
Some Procedures And Treatments Covered By Wellness Plans:
- Vet visits
- Dental care
- Blood work
- Tapeworm, heartworm vaccinations
- Spaying, neutering
- Heartworm Tests, Fecal Tests
- Rabies, DHLP, Parvo Vaccination
- Bordetella, Lyme Giardia Vaccination
- Flea & Tick treatment
Types Of Coverage
- Comprehensive Pet Insurance Plan: This the broadest and most comprehensive coverage that will cover virtually every illness, accident and/or treatments that are needed for your pet.
- Accident Only Plans: Just as the name implies, it covers only accidents that your dog or cat might encounter. If you want just minimal coverage, you can opt for this plan.
- Wellness Coverage: This type of coverage is in addition to your comprehensive or accident plan. It could be beneficial to pet owners in Ohio because of the crazy climate but it is an added expense.
Benefit limits are the limits that the pet insurance company will pay out each year. And, of course, this could be a huge factor if your pet gets seriously hurt or ill.
- Unlimited Lifetime Benefit Options: This is the best of all the benefit limits that might be offered as there is no limit that the pet insurance will pay for your pet’s care for the duration of your pet’s life.
- Annual Maximum/Annual Per Incident: This means that each year there is a maximum amount set for the year or for a condition that your pet develops.
- Lifetime Maximum Limit: This is when the pet insurance company puts a limit on how much they will pay for an illness or condition for your pet’s life. If your pet gets really ill, you can hit that limit quickly.
How To Get The Best Price
Price is always a big consideration in anything we purchase.
The price of your pet insurance policy in Ohio is not only based on your whether you own a dog or cat, but the type of breed, the age of your pet, and the city in which you live.
If you live in Cincinnati, your dog or cat will be more expensive to enroll in a pet insurance plan than that same dog or cat in Beachwood, Ohio!
Before any pet insurance company will reimburse you, you first much choose a deductible.
Deductibles tend to vary from $50-$1,000.
Opt for somewhere in the middle.
If you go for a higher deductible, you will pay less of the vet bill.
Would you rather pay a little more now and have a lesser bill later? You only have to meet the deductible once.
Annual deductibles are the most popular and recommend choice. You pay the chosen deductible once a year and then you are done. You know exactly what you are paying.
Per condition lifetime and per condition annual put limits per condition. If you have a dog or cat with cancer, while it’s nice to only pay the deductible once, if your pet develops another condition or illness, you will pay yet another deductible.
When you sign up for a new policy, you will be given a choice of reimbursement percentages. They usually range from 70% to even 100%.
In order to pay a lower monthly premium, you will want to choose a lower reimbursement.
While your monthly payment is lower, you will also be reimbursed less on the medical bill. If you want more reimbursement than the premium will be higher accordingly.
- Actual Cost Reimbursement: Actual cost reimbursement is the most clear-cut reimbursement and it is based entirely on your medical bill
- Benefit Schedules Reimbursement: Benefit Schedules – a company reimburses based on a set dollar amount per condition or even illness.
- Usual and Customary Reimbursement: Usual and customary – the price which a company thinks is typical for a procedure or illness. If you live in Cleveland where prices are higher, the vet bill would rise too. It’s too arbitrary.
Reviews And Customer Service
If you enroll in a plan that is hard to get on the phone or your questions aren’t answered properly, it can be a huge headache and time-consuming.
Scour the reviews of the pet insurance company of your choice.
- Are customers happy with their service?
- Do they pay claims in a timely fashion?
- Or do they deny claims that the company said they would cover?
How do you like to pay for your bills? Most of us prefer to pay online, not only for its convenience but also for quick turn-around and paperless options! The best pet insurance companies will have either a mobile app or an online option for paying.
Based on our criteria of the best reviews, coverage, and pricing, we put together a list of the top pet insurance companies in Ohio:
And there you go!
In states like Ohio where your pets tend to be outdoors more often, pet insurance should be a serious consideration. If your pet gets hurt or sick, you will be really grateful that you enrolled in a policy.
If you want to look at some other choices of the top pet insurance providers, our top 10 pet insurance companies list will help you out!