The Big Apple is an exciting place to live, both for humans and their furry companions.
Making sure your pet has access to the care they need if they face an accident or injury should be a priority.
Pet insurance can be the key to protecting your pet, making their veterinary bills more bearable.
With over a million pets living in New York City, there’s no shortage of pet insurance companies to choose from.
We’ve evaluated all of the top pet insurance providers in NYC, presenting you with the top 5 best options.
Need Pet Insurance?
FACT: Pet insurance pays up to 90% of vet bills when your pet is sick or injured!
Best Pet Insurance in New York City
If you live in New York City, the companies below are worth considering. They stand out for their affordability, coverage, and customer service.
Read on to learn more about the unique benefits of each provider.
Healthy Paws is a great fit if you’re looking for an easy, straightforward policy.
Though it excludes wellness care, their single pet plan includes accidents, illnesses, and alternative therapy in its coverage.
Healthy Paws’ coverage also works with all licensed veterinarians in NYC, unlike many of its competitors who exclude some veterinary hospitals.
When you buy your policy, you can choose your reimbursement level and how much you want to pay in deductibles.
However, you don’t have to decide on a maximum coverage amount as there is no cap on Healthy Paws’ pet plans.
When the time comes to file a claim, you can expect a simple user-friendly experience on the Healthy Paws’ app.
You simply upload a pic of your medical bill and can expect a payout in a couple of days.
Healthy Paws truly makes pet insurance as simple as possible.
Learn More: Read our full Healthy Paws Review
Another top tier provider for New York City cats and dogs is PetFirst.
The company offers both accident and illness policies and wellness care plans.
It also covers a range of medical conditions without requiring a waiting period before coverage kicks in.
PetFirst is a stellar choice for older pets, with no maximum age limits to disqualify them.
The provider’s accident and illness plans max out at $10,000 of annual benefits, with deductible options as low as $50.
You can also save with a discount that rewards you when you go a year without filing a claim.
PetFirst is often praised for its excellent customer service, too.
The company currently holds an “A+” rating with the Better Business Bureau, based on how it responds to complaints and communicates with customers.
You can count on PetFirst to protect your pet in emergencies and help with their routine care.
Learn More: Read our full PetFirst Review
Figo is a solid choice for New York City residents looking for lots of options. Their coverage comes in three layers: Essential, Preferred, and Ultimate.
The Essential plan offers basic accident and illness protection, with the Preferred and Ultimate policy options offering more robust features.
You even get funds to help locate your pet if he or she goes missing at the Ultimate level. With this plan, you also benefit from coverage with no maximum benefit limit.
Figo also has flexible reimbursement options and deductibles.
While Figo’s coverage is impressive, perhaps its biggest standout feature is its online experience.
Taking home the award for Best Technology by Reviews.com, Figo’s website is second-to-none.
You get access to an A.I. claims center, around the clock access to a vet online, and even routine appointment reminders to keep your cat or dog as healthy as possible.
Figo is a no-brainer if you’re looking for an intuitive, user-friendly digital experience to go with your pet’s policy.
Learn More: Read our full Figo Pet Insurance Review
If you’re worried about getting your older dog or cat insured, Pets Best is another great choice, with fair treatment of aging pets.
Even if your pet is young, you can benefit from Pets Best’s accident and illness plan or its comprehensive wellness plan.
Unique from many other carriers, Pets Best foots the bill for prescriptions and vaccinations when you purchase their routine care plan.
With a premium plan from Pets Best, you even get coverage for treatments like chiropractic therapy and physical rehab.
Outside of Pet’s Best’s Elite plan, their annual benefits max out at $5,000. You can choose from a range of deductible options, too.
Pets Best also allows you to quickly and efficiently file a claim and get paid online.
If maintaining your pet’s health in good times and bad is one of your goals, Pets Best is a smart choice.
Learn More: Read our full Pets Best Review
Perhaps the most popular name on the list of NYC pet insurers is Progressive.
With pet insurance and a whole host of other lines of insurance and additional products, Progressive is a brand you can count on for most of your financial needs.
Progressive offers three key types of pet plans:
- Accident only
- Accident and illness
This range of policies allows you to customize your coverage and meet budgetary constraints.
Progressive lets you choose your deductibles and reimbursement level.
While Progressive does offer unlimited coverage, you can also opt for an annual maximum benefit, which results in lower premiums.
As you might have guessed, if you have other policies with Progressive, the company does offer discounts to its pet policy owners.
In fact, you’ll earn a 5% discount just for getting online quotes before buying a policy. You can save an additional 5% when you insure multiple pets with Progressive.
Learn More: Read our full Progressive Pet Insurance Review
Real Cost Savings from Nationwide Clients
Nationwide insurance saved his parents
Senta got a bone disease called hypertrophic osteodystrophy. Therapy and drug treatment cost $7,770. Senta is now back to his playful self.
What Does Pet Insurance in New York City Cover?
As you can see, the list of covered conditions and treatments can look different from one pet insurance provider to the next.
But overall, the majority of pet insurance companies tend to stick to a similar list with their basic accident and illness policies.
At a minimum, you can expect your pet insurance policy to cover the following:
- Cancer treatments
- Chronic/congenital/hereditary conditions
- Emergency services
- Examination fees
- Hospital visits
- Prescriptions for approved conditions
- Ultrasounds/X Rays
Conversely, most accident and illness plans won’t kick in for the expenses below:
- Behavioral therapies
- Boarding and grooming
- Dental services
- Elective procedures
- Pre-existing conditions
- Preventive and wellness care
- Spaying or neutering
Does Pet Insurance Cover Exotic Pets?
The companies above are wonderful if you’re looking to insure a dog or a cat.
But if your pet doesn’t fit into either of those species, you’ll have to look a little harder for a company to insure them.
In fact, exotic pets are excluded from the majority of pet insurance providers’ plans.
Fortunately, you can count on two popular names to protect your exotic pet: Nationwide and Wells Fargo.
How Does Pet Insurance NYC Work?
Still wondering exactly how pet insurance works?
Before you lock into a policy, you may want to brush up on the terms below, which are key parts of every pet insurance plan.
- Premiums: Premiums are the monthly payments you have to make to keep your pet policy in place. How much you pay each month is shaped by several risk factors and can increase as your cat or dog gets older.
- Deductibles: How much are you willing to pay out of pocket before your pet’s policy takes effect? That amount is the deductible, which can be as low as $0 with some companies. The more you’re willing to pay upfront, the less you might pay in monthly premiums.
- Reimbursement: Pet insurance companies almost always reimburse policyholders, paying them back a percentage of the medical bill when they file a claim. Reimbursement usually range between 70% and 90%, with some plans offering full reimbursement.
- Waiting Period: Most pet insurance companies enforce a 24-hour to 14-day waiting period for accidents, with a lengthier waiting period (up to a year) for hereditary or congenital illnesses. In some cases, the waiting period is waived altogether, meaning coverage kicks in and claims can be filed immediately after you buy your pet plan.
- Pre-existing Conditions: If your pet is diagnosed with an illness before you buy insurance, it won’t be covered in most cases. However, some differentiate between conditions that are curable and ones that aren’t. You’ll likely have to submit to a vet checkup or show medical records to indicate an appointment in the last year when you apply for a policy.
Real Cost Savings from Nationwide Clients
Nationwide insurance saved his parents
Max had a urinary blockage that required surgery. After medication and a few follow-up visits, he recovered well and is now doing great!
How Much Does Pet Insurance Cost in New York City?
What you end up paying to insure your dog or cat depends on the factors below:
- Location: What part of the city you live in could impact your rates, and you’ll be required to submit your zip code when you get quotes online. In general, you can expect to pay higher rates in NYC than you would in a smaller, more rural area.
- Type of Pet: Cat policies are cheaper than dog policies, and some breeds are pricier to insure than others, so you’ll have to be specific about the type of dog or cat you have when you apply for coverage.
- Age: Age is another big deciding factor, as pets are more at risk of injuries and illnesses when they get older. Most companies insure pets between the ages of 6 to 8 weeks and 14 years, with some companies expanding their coverage to elderly dogs and cats.
- Coverage Level: If you opt for the most basic policy a company has to offer, with maximum annual benefits, you’ll get the lowest prices. On the other hand, if you feel you need to add wellness care to the mix and purchase unlimited coverage, you’ll pay more for it.
- Policy Structure: Most pet insurance companies let you choose how much you want to pay in deductibles and how much you want to be reimbursed for each incident. The higher deductible and lower percentage you chose, the more you can save on premiums.
With so many factors at play, your pet insurance premiums could look drastically different than someone else’s.
However, the average pet owner pays somewhere between $30 and $50 a month for a policy, though you may be able to find cheaper policy options in some cases.
Shopping for Pet Insurance in New York City
Pet insurance is one of the most worthwhile purchases you can make.
At the end of the day, you won’t regret investing in your beloved pet’s health and wellbeing.
With so many affordable pet insurance policies from exceptional providers, you have an abundance of options to choose from.
A great first step is comparing quotes from a few of your top picks. It’s the best way to see who can actually offer you the best bang for your buck.
You can make the City that Never Sleeps safer for your furriest family member and get some peace of mind with a pet insurance plan tailored to their needs.
Other articles you may find helpful:
New Hampshire, Arizona, Florida, Illinois, Texas, California, Massachusetts, New Jersey, Washington, Seattle, Iowa, Oregon, Minnesota, Utah, Idaho, Hawaii, New York City, North Carolina, Maine, Rhode Island, Ohio, Connecticut, Pennsylvania.