Owning a dog or cat is one of the best experiences any human can hope for with their unconditional love and sweet demeanor.
But, our little furry friends can become expensive, particularly if they get in an accident or suddenly ill. And those bills can become very costly.
Which is why you should consider shopping for pet insurance in Texas.
The AVMA estimates that with Texas’s population at approximately 28 million households, the number of pet owners is more than half that (approximately .56) or almost 15 million pets!
While it’s great to know that veterinary technology has improved tremendously, those improvements come at a cost.
Need Pet Insurance?
FACT: Pet insurance pays up to 90% of vet bills when your pet is sick or injured!
Pet Insurance In Texas
Here are the top 5 companies that offer pet insurance in Texas:
Healthy Paws Highlights:
Healthy Paws pet insurance has an A+ customer satisfaction rating.
Unlimited benefits in all their plans even their most basic policy.
Annual deductible choices of:
Fast claims and turn- around time. The typical time frame for payment is 3-5 days.
Alternative therapy treatments like physical therapy and chiropractic coverage included in all of their plans.
Pricing is competitive and with the unlimited benefit option makes them even cheaper:
- The average monthly rate for dogs in Texas is $34
- The average monthly rate for cats in Texas is $17
Want more specifics? Take a look at our Healthy Paws Review.
Petplan Pet Insurance also has an A+ rating by BBB.
All of their comprehensive coverage even includes the vet visit exam fee (which is a bonus).
Reimbursement levels of up to 90% and unlimited benefits in their highest tiered plan.
Deductibles that are very flexible and range from $100 to $1,000 and not per condition.
Petplan is known for its high customer service satisfaction reviews, and they are available 24/7.
A 10% discount is offered when enrolling online.
- The average monthly rate for dogs in Texas is $29
- The average monthly rate for cats in Texas is $19
Want more specifics? Take a look at our Petplan Pet Insurance Review.
Embrace also has an A+ rating by the Better Business Bureau.
Benefit limits up to $15,000, which isn’t that great like those from Healthy Paws.
Very flexible annual deductible rates from $100 to $1,000 to fit your budget.
Alternative treatments, behavioral therapy, and prosthetics.
A $650 dental cleaning allowance which is a definite perk.
Healthy Pet? Embrace’s Healthy Pet Deductible program will decrease your premium by $50 for each year you don’t’ file a claim.
- The average monthly rate to insure dogs in Texas is $34
- The average monthly rate to insure cats in Texas is $20
Want more specifics? Take a look at our Embrace Pet Insurance Review.
Pest Best Highlights:
Pets Best has been around since 2005 and also has an A+ BBB rating.
No lifetimes limits and will not increase your premium based on claims.
Two different wellness plans are offered if that is of importance to you.
No exemptions for hereditary conditions or congenital issues.
Benefit limits from $5,000 to unlimited.
Reimbursements are paid within a week.
- The average monthly rate to insure dogs in Texas is $31
- The average monthly rate for cats in Texas is $22.
Want to learn more specifics? Take a look at our Pets Best Insurance Review.
Figo Pet Insurance has an A+ rating from the Better Business Bureau.
Figo is one of the newer and more tech-oriented pet insurance companies.
Very comprehensive coverage in all plans with behavioral therapy, alternative therapy, and exam fee reimbursement.
Hereditary and congenital conditions are covered if cured for at least 12 months.
Waive the co-pay and deductible if your pet needs lifesaving care.
Reimbursement levels from 70% to 100% (the highest we’ve seen offered).
Cloud-based platform for easy payments, communication, and a pet community.
- The average monthly rate to insure dogs in Texas is $49
- The average monthly rate for cats in Texas is $28.
Want to learn more? Take a look at our full Figo Pet Insurance Review.
Why Should Pet Owners Purchase Pet Insurance In Texas?
Pet insurance is to help pet owners pay for any unexpected accident or sudden illness that can occur to your pet.
While there are monthly payments and deductibles to be paid each year, pet insurance can save you money with those high unexpected vet costs.
A little money up front can save you on very costly vet bills, especially in states like Texas.
Below are some examples of the cost of some health issues that might occur for your cat or dog and what your bill could be:
- Active Hepatitis: $8,000
- Patella or Hip Injury Surgery: $5,000 to $10,000
- A genetic heart defect- $22,000.
If your kitty needs treatment for kidney disease, even the tests alone cost as much as $5,000. Just for the tests and not the treatment!
A good pet insurance policy will pay anywhere from 80% to 90% of your bill. And when incidents or accidents occur, pet owners are very happy they are covered.
Here’s How Pet Insurance Works
Your dog injures his paw and is rushed into the emergency room. The whole vet bill is $8,000. If you choose an 80% reimbursement rate with a $200 deductible, you would first pay your $200.
Then you would pay your co-pay of $1,560 (20% of $7,800) and be reimbursed $6,240.
That is quite a reimbursement! If you didn’t have pet insurance, you would pay $8,000!
Finding The Best Pet Insurance In Texas
The most important thing in a pet insurance policy is the type of coverage it offers. The whole point you are enrolling in pet insurance is to get reimbursement for the expensive medical bills for your pets.
All solid pet insurance policies will cover at least the following items:
- Injuries, illness, and accidents
- Congenital, Hereditary and Chronic illness or Conditions
- X-rays and diagnostics
- Emergency treatment
- Hospital care
- Specialist coverage
Real Cost Savings from Healthy Paws Clients
Healthy Paws saved his parents
Samson tore his ACL in a lively game of fetch. After surgery and rehab, Samson is back to his playful self and never turns down a game of fetch!
What Kind Of Coverage Is The Best?
Comprehensive Pet Insurance Coverage is the most well-round coverage offered and is the most popular, and there’s a reason why.
Comprehensive coverage gives you the broadest range of coverage for any accident or medical condition that can occur in your pet’s life. Comprehensive coverage enables your pet to be covered for all accidents, diseases like cancer or diabetes, and even chronic conditions like hay fever.
Accident coverage only covers accidents and is very limiting and not our favorite. But, if you have an older pet or one that has a pre-existing condition, then accident coverage might be appropriate for your pet.
Pet Wellness coverage is preventative care coverage and is an additional expense to your current policy. It only drives up the premiums and the items included like annual vet visits or neutering or spaying, which is usually not very expensive.
How To Choose The Best Benefit Levels
The benefit limit levels are the amount that the company reimburses you for each bill or even for the lifetime of your pet.
They are broken down as follows in our order of preference:
- Unlimited Lifetime Benefits – Once you meet the deductible, there is no limit that you will be reimbursed for your medical expenses. Pet insurance is for just this purpose.
- Annual Maximum – This is a set amount of money that the company will pay out each year. After the limit is reached, you have to cover the rest of the bills.
- Per Incident Annual – Every medical issue or procedure has a set amount of coverage each year. If your pet has many vet visits, you will hit the maximum payout quickly.
- Lifetime Maximum Benefits – This coverage dictates the maximum the pet insurance provider will pay each year, either for a specific condition or illness. You could hit this level quickly.
How To Get The Best Monthly Premium
Many factors affect price from the coverage level, the age of your pet, and the city in Texas that you live in.
A dog in Dallas with be more expensive to cover than a dog in Houston.
The deductible is the amount you pay one time each year for your first medical bill before your insurance kicks in. Pet insurance deductibles can range from as low as $50 to as high as $1200 per month.
There are a few choices in deductibles:
- Annual Deductible– you pay once each year, and it’s always our recommended choice. There are no surprises, and you know exactly what you are paying. If you choose a lower deductible plan, then you will be paying more for each bill.
- Per Condition Lifetime– This deductible is broken down into conditions. This can be restrictive. If your dog has cancer, you only pay the deductible once for cancer treatment. But, if that same pet gets injured, you have to pay another deductible for that injury. And the limit might not even cover all the treatment.
- Per Condition Annual Deductible – This deductible is again per condition, but it resets each year. This is our least favorite.
How Reimbursement Works
Reimbursement is the amount you are reimbursed each bill depending on the levels you choose. The best pet insurance policies have reimbursements of up to 90%.
Figo even offers a 100% reimbursement.
The higher the reimbursement level you choose, the higher your monthly premium payout.
Companies have three different models of reimbursement:
- Actual Cost Reimbursement – Once the deductible is paid, you are reimbursed on the actual medical bill according to the percentage you choose.
- Benefits Schedules – This is a schedule of the maximum benefit you can be reimbursed for certain conditions or illness. Again, this could be very limiting.
- Usual and Customary Reimbursement – This type of reimbursement is what a pet insurance company thinks is the average or usual and customary price. This can be expensive in a big state like Texas, where rates might be higher and is never a good choice.
Things To Consider When Purchasing Pet Insurance in Texas
Customer service is always important in your plan choice because you want to make sure all your questions are answered properly.
Make sure the claims process is easily understood, and you can easily pay your bill online or your preferred way of paying. The best companies have mobile apps to make the process easier.
When taking into consideration all of the above, we have compiled our list of Texas’s five best pet insurance companies:
And there you have it! If you want some information on some other pet insurance companies in Texas or for pet insurance companies in your area, our top 10 pet insurance company guide of 2020 will give you more choices!
Other articles you may find helpful:
New Hampshire, Arizona, Florida, Illinois, Texas, California, Massachusetts, New Jersey, Washington, Seattle, Iowa, Oregon, Minnesota, Utah, Idaho, Hawaii, New York City, North Carolina, Maine, Rhode Island, Ohio, Connecticut, Pennsylvania.